Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

"Facing your Giants"

My mother sent me this book, not knowing exactly what I am facing daily. She knows of what we are going through but doesn’t know what we are going through. This book keeps pulling me back to read some great illustrations, examples of David’s life and how he failed but also how he pleased God. I recommend this book to all facing giants in your life, small or large, most of the time it is an accumulation of the small ones that usually bring us down.
In the first chapter he leads out with this verse. “As Goliath moved closer to attack, David quickly ran out to meet him.” 1 Samuel 17:48 (NLT).

48 Now when the Philistine made a move and came near to David, David quickly went at a run in the direction of the army, meeting the Philistine face to face. 1 Sam 17:48 (BBE)

I love these two translations. For us First term folks, it seems we face so many Goliaths. The Language Goliath, The Culture Goliath the Ministry Goliath, The Health Goliath and even the Family Goliath. It seems we focus so much on the Giants and that is all we see.

I like what he brings out in verses 45-47 of chapter 17. It almost sounds like David is arrogantly bragging about God but it wasn’t that he was bragging it was the only thing he was thinking about (God). The soldiers we mentioning nothing of God only their enemies, so I keep reminding myself when those Giants keep arising to attack, focus on God and not the “Giants”.
As Lucado says, “Giants. We must face them. Yet we need not face them alone. Focus first, and most, on God. The times David did, giants fell. The days he didn’t, David did.

No comments: