Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Garrett's progress....

I thought I would post some news on Garrett. Even though I might be bi est on my comments. Garrett is doing well on his racing year. After placing second on several races. He has won his first in a exciting finish. I'll try to give a run down how it went. I will not be able to do it justice with words.
As they started out, one of the first obstacles was a down hill to a funnel section across a rough made bridge. It was a rapid decent with large rocks on the other side of the bridge. On the decent Garrett lost one of his bottles that contained Gatorade, the other he had was water. I was able to get the Gatorade bottle. Teresa and I set off to try to catch them at a intersection crossing. They were riding faster than I would have guest, so we missed him there. At that point I was just hoping he could hang to the group and I would catch at the last water stop. Teresa and I found the last water stop which left him with 16 kilometers till the finish. (it was a 48 kilometer race.) As were waiting, some of the race people said the elite racers would be coming by any minute. As we waited, we began seeing 2 man groups coming up after about 3 or 4 sets come by we saw a solo and what a suprize, it was Garrett. As he came by I passed off his Gatorade to him and told him that he had 16 kilometers of more or less gravel road but mostly up hill. As we left that point we are told he had a 6 minute gap on his nearest competitor. We continued on to see him at the finish. As we were waiting at the finish, we noticed that two others had joined him. To our suprize it was his rival. Later Garrett went on to tell us that he had run out of energy on one of the big climbs. He said that once the guy caught him he was able to stay on his wheel. The guy and another attacked Garrett several times but he said gain some strength back and was able to fight them off. Now if you don't follow cycling this is about as interesting as reading Greek. At the end Garrett was able to sprint to the finish and win his first race by half of a bike length. Come to find out later Garrett told me that he decide to pull a gutsy move by breaking away from the group early. This disrupted all the others in the group and Garrett was able to capitalize on it. It was a risky move but as many cyclist say you don't win if you don't take those risks. He is learning fast on how to race and how to train and I can't say enough how proud I am of him in his racing. Now saying all that, let me tell you that he is also living out his faith in front of these guys. I have had the opportunity to share with several of his friends. He is not shy about standing up for his convictions.


Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: