Search This Blog

Saturday, January 27, 2007

Facing your Giants by Max Lucado

For me this book was right on time. Lucado put you in the history looking at David's life. He used scripture and imagination to illustrate how we can face our giants of today. Though I wish I could face them with victory like David I seem to fail or back down like David. I take that back, I am victorious some days then it seems I go two steps back. Never the less God is King and in control. One of Lucado's quotes I liked, "Giants. We must face them. Yet we need not face them alone. Focus first, and most, on God. The times David did, giants fell. The days he didn't, David did. (Page 8).
As I was preparing to come to the field now 4 years ago. I was told by the IMB that I had to loose weight to continue the process. (Some 50 lbs) I put so much effort in loosing weight, getting in shape, participating in 10 triathlons, adventure races, running my first ultrathon of 50 kilometers. Now looking back, even though getting in shape is important and especially for me, I wish I would have put just as much effort into preparing spiritually. I'm not saying I didn't, just that looking back I think I could have done things differently. Now looking ahead with half my term left, I'm trying to catch up. It has become my spiritual ultrathon. Disciplining myself, lifting spiritual weights, working through the small injuries, and doing the long spiritual runs on the weekends. 24 But that matters little. What matters most to me is to finish what God started: the job the Master Jesus gave me of letting everyone I meet know all about this incredibly extravagant generosity of God. Acts 20:24 (MSG)
As we dive more into the book of Lucado, I look forward to seeing what God is going to show me through the life of David.

No comments: