Search This Blog

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Ticket and a License to Drive

Sounds simple…go done to pay for a ticket. (Running a red light and driving without a licences...well not really I had Ala and a Costa Rican just not what they wanted as the time because there has been times those would have been fine.) Where was I, oh yes paying a ticket. Off I went to pay on Tuesday but forgetting that this is the time for vacations so they close at 1:30pm everyday till school starts back. So I go back on Wednesday to pay, getting to the window the guy tells me I have to go across the street for someone to assign value to the points on the ticket so they will know what to charge. Off I go; arriving to a puzzled look on another gentleman’s face and telling me no they should know what the value. Back across the street, the original guy asks a lady there in the office what to do and thank goodness she had the original copy of my ticket to discuss price and why I was driving without a license. I went on to explain the best I could in Spanish that we were in the process but had not received our “cedula” (social security #). And that we were told my immigration that we could drive on our North American licenses with our passport. Well they had not heard that so I paid a hefty fine for driving without a license.
Next page…We (Teresa and I) were off this morning early to stand in line to attempt to get our license. The first gentlemen took our passports and stateside drivers license found our visas from us entering the country in November(from going home for my dad’s death) seeing this and stated that our visa was to expire in February 26 and that our license would be good till then. Well seeing this we went to the gentlemen I talk with yesterday and asked him what we could do to obtain a license.
I and you don’t have the time for me to explain what all happened but that is just a taste of what we deal with daily. He went on to tell me "don’t worry if you get a tick just bring it to me and I will take care of the fine". Until you can get your “cedula”. What fun.

No comments: